For us, this land is the most important resource we have. It has been passed down in our family for generations, and we take that responsibility seriously. We operate with the idea that we are borrowing this ranch from future generations. Our priority is protecting its' healthy soil, precious water, and clean air.
Our livelihood, and the future, depend on it.
In 1852 the five Marshall brothers settled here from Markethill, Ireland. They established a dairy with Milking Shorthorn cows, which could be used for both milk and beef.
The brothers eventually sold a lot of land but kept the best 1,000 acres for themselves -the "Marshall Home Ranch" where we are today.
In 1870 they also built a hotel on Tomales Bay, where schooners brought butter and potatoes to nearby San Francisco. Soon the surrounding township was named after them and Marshall, California was born.
The custom beef business is operated by Louis and Marissa Silva, along with kids and future ranchers Paisley and Reed. Together we manage all aspects of the business and are proud to carry on the tradition. We also have an organic jersey cow dairy and supply milk to Straus Family Creamery.